Bread

Bread
Valley Bread-photo by Anna M. Power

Thursday, April 9, 2015

On Bread

It is spring and  everything that has laid dormant over the long winter is starving for release.We hunger for the primitive rituals of our mothers, for the strength of hands kneading the dough, for the patience to observe the yeast rising over and over, for the promise of a resurrection born out of our own sour and difficult fermentations. Spring is swelling in the yellow bowl, coming to terms with its borders and pushing up, the floured linen veil lifting, even the pale and rubbery dough is seeking the light.

From the hands of my daughter, who rings up pastry at a local eatery, all manner of scones and day old wheatberry breads come though this door, end up on my table. Meanwhile I have decided to give up carbs,troubled by the inebriation of wheat, the unmindful habit that interferes in the task of living.
My writing life is disturbed by the numbness of the morning after, by the last of the malted Easter eggs devoured at midnight, how I sucked the dust of their yokes until the breath of sugar consumed me. I awoke on the couch just before my daughter left for school, still in my boots with the empty bowl fallen at my feet. No wonder that barley was at the heart of it, it's own germination coaxed forth in the soaking, then abruptly halted, the delicate grains dried and crumbled into ash like the fits and start of my writing life.

In this valley, even the hills are made of bread and one must come to terms with it, declare our own truce, be able to stroll the bakeries and the farmer's markets without filling our baskets to the brim with the beautiful loaves. We must, as the monks say, develop equanimity with all things, even the wheat.

What is your relationship with bread? Free associate a list of words in relationship to the word bread. Imagine a sour yeast from your own life rising. What form would it take? What would that kneading onto the page, that meeting of boundaries, that breaking through look like?

No comments: